Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Challenging

Life is a little challenging right now having 2 kids. The newborn is the easier of the duo. I have to second all those who say the "terrible 2's" weren't so bad, but the 3's. . . let's just say parenting has become more challenging. I know I am struggling with having patience with Makaila because I am sleep deprived. But the whining, arguing, and why's are worse than a teenager's! And she has also learned to mumble and sulk out of the room with her head and shoulders so low you'd think her hands would touch the floor. Also we get to struggle daily with being upset either because I did something she wanted to do or I won't do something she is able to do by herself. Like closing the garage door, getting diapers for Cole, getting her panties out of her drawer, etc. I also am unsure how to respond to her being in between needing a nap and not needing a nap. If she doesn't get one she either falls asleep at 5 or is very cranky in that pre-dinner hour (and needs to get to bed EARLY). If she does get one she keeps making up excuses to get out of bed for an hour or two after being put down. (Fingernail clipped, need a bandaid, I'm scared, I found this piece of trash. . .) I feel like I can't win. She also doesn't like me going places without her and will readily tell me (even if she is going out with Daddy) that she wishes I would stay home. But right now I need breaks from the challenging part of parenting!

Cole is getting closer to sleeping through the night. He doesn't really want the 10pm feeding, but I keep giving it to him hoping to prolong the nighttime one. We've done some crying it out and he is going long blocks at night, now we just have to get him not waking up (at 2 and 3 or 4am) when he doesn't need to eat. I think that kid will be so much happier at night and be able to soothe himself back to sleep when he can fine his thumb. He chews on his hand like a champ, but doesn't want to be helped getting that thumb in his mouth.

Cole started smiling at us recently and that is so great. It is funny how such a small thing makes you feel so good inside. Swank Kids

No comments: