Thursday, May 22, 2008

Baptism

We went to a baptism like we've never been to before. And it has changed my opinion about baptisms. I know I should be celebrating with the person who is showing the world they are a believer of Christ. . . but I just have to admit I'm usually bored. When you don't know the person getting baptized, I just feel like things are so formal. And stuffy. And drawn out. But not our church. I feel like our church has gotten back to how a baptism may have originally felt. It is a picnic. A gathering of everyone. A casual celebration of a changed life.

How do they do that? It's outdoors, in a park, using a lake. We all gather around a lake in our shorts and flip flops sitting on blankets in lawn chairs. We sing a few songs together. Hear a short intro by our pastor. Then we break into groups and go listen to 3-4 testimonies of who you know or want to support and pray for each person in a small group. Then we all go back to our blankets and watch everyone get baptized. It's not slow and formal. 3-5 are going at a time. If someone wants to have their spouse, parent, friend or person who lead them to Christ in the water too, then they come right in. People clap and celebrate sporratically. Someone announces his past was years of drug use and look what God has done now. Kids play around on the blankets. But my daughter is there to see it happen.

Then the party continues. We all have hot dogs and hamburgers. There are bounce houses for the kids. Snowcones. A playground. Someone sets up a volleyball net. The church just hangs out knowing more people are making this public announcement of their faith. And isn't that what it's about?

No comments: