Friday, January 01, 2010

Then and Now, 10 years gone by

I am not a person who goes out of her way for self-reflection. At this point in my life I just feel like I'm trying to keep up with different areas as I juggle the balls of homemaking, parenting, a marriage, a part-time career, ministry, etc. But every now and then looking back is a good thing.

10 years ago. . .
I was still a "newlywed"
I didn't have children
I worked full time
I hadn't owned a house
We took may road trips
Lived in MI, a state I never thought I would
Wondered where my husband might move us next
Had never been to Europe, although I really wanted to go
I didn't have nieces or nephews
I never thought much about mortality
Thought I was a cool Junior High Youth Group Leader
Drove a Honda (we owned 2 of them)
Called up friends last minute to play cards/games or go to dinner
Shopped for myself, bymyself
Scrapbooked
Spent New Year's Eve in AZ, curious to see if Y2K would cause any problems

Today. . .
We help lead discussion for young marrieds
I have 2 children
I work. . . occasionally
We are in our second house
We travel by plane mostly (and our kids are pros)
I'm living in TX, I never thought I would
Wonder where my husband might move us next
Have traveled to London and want to see more of Europe
I have 4 nieces and 1 nephew
My Dad has been battling cancer and my grandmas aren't at their best health any more
Volunteer in the PTA and 1st grade at church (just a mom, not cool anymore)
Drive a Honda (and just bought one for my husband)
Look in the fridge to see what is for dinner and plan a month ahead of time for a babysitter swapping with neighbors for a date
Shop more for my kids than myself, often doing it from 8-9pm to be by myself!
Blog
Watched a movie with my husband, drank Martinelli's and we in bed before midnight!

Some things change drastically, somethings stay the same. I'm sure I'll think of 10 more of these after I publish this post.

No comments: